Friday, January 21, 2011

The story of an ugly child

Today I chose to stay in all day, reading a lot of fantastic blogs from around the world. My plan was really to go to the Les Arts Décoratifs - Mode et Textile which is a fashion museum in Paris, in the Louvre. I visited the museum a couple of years ago when there was a Valentino exibition and it was spectacular! Not only was all the beautiful clothes by the italien designer extraordinary, but the whole atmosphere in the old building was amazing. At the moment there is an exibition with contemporary fashion from 1990-2000 - also known as the Beverly Hills 90210 years. But keep in mind, this is Paris! The fashion displayed is off cause high fashion from disigners such as Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel, John Galliano for Dior, Dolce et Gabbana, Vivienne Westwood, Alexander McQueen and so on.
Picture from lesartsdecoratifs.fr
I was a child in the 90's, so I didn't wear any of those designers, and didn't even know who most of them were until the end of that decade. My mother is a VERY headstrong woman, and some (most) people say that I have inherited that trait. So when it comes to fashion I have always had an opinion of my own!
When the biggest trend amongst the other children in kindergarden was to wear jeans, I off cause refused. I wanted to wear my pretty dresses everyday, and my tracksuits to birthdayparties.
When I was around 8 my favorite outfit was a matching-print legging and blouse jersey-blend ensemble. I wanted to wear this everyday, so my mother had to wash it all the time. Everytime I fell (which was a lot, as I thought it was cool to ride unicycles, but wasn't very good at it) and got big holes on my knees, she had to patch them up, making the ugly outfit even worse looking.
By the age of 10 I started to make my own clothes, and it was not a pretty sight. For the danish version of Halloween I made my own jester costume which was a half black, half white, longsleeved jumpsuit. I thought it came out so well, that I decided to wear it after the holiday as well (Can you imaging what I must have looked like? No? Would it help if I say that I have curly frizzy hair, and at that time didn't know how to controle it?). I still don't follow the trends completely, as I think some of them are stupid. Come on!: Buffallo boots, neon-colored everything and bike shorts.

Who can make this look good?
With the aid of Vogue, Elle and different fashion-blogs I now have a better idea as of what suits me and what doesn't. My only hope is that for every fashion don't you've made, there must be a fashion do to come. If that's the case, I'll be looking good for a the rest of my life...

No comments:

Post a Comment